Thursday, June 23, 2005

Alien-ated

Let my start by saying that I don't usually do the alien thing. I love books that employ magic and time travel and I don't mind the occasional foray into Buffy territory. But for the most part, I can't get into anything that shapeshifts or comes from another planet.

I made a huge exception for AWAKEN ME DARKLY my Gena Showalter. At first, my thought was just to read a few pages since my best friend Anna had recommended it, but instead I stayed up until the wee hours to finish the whole book in one sitting. Mia Snow is a real kick-ass babe [it takes one to know one!] and Kyrin is really hot for a guy who has to take drugs to breathe in our atmosphere. Can't wait for the next book in the series!

Not sleeping well always makes me hungry. So after work I treated myself to a bottle of red wine, filets with goat cheese and pasta salad. [I'll run it off tomorrow]

1 1/2 cups balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons butter
(5 to 6-ounce) filet mignon steaks (each about 1-inch thick)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 ounces soft fresh goat cheese

Boil the balsamic vinegar and sugar in a heavy small saucepan over medium-high heat until reduced to 1/3 cup, stirring occasionally, about 18 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat the broiler. Melt the butter in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the steaks with salt and pepper. Cook the steaks to desired doneness, about 3 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer the steaks to a baking sheet. Crumble the cheese over the steaks and broil just until the cheese melts, about 1 minute. Sprinkle with pepper.

~*~

1 pound farfalle pasta
3 tablespoons butter
1 pound cremini mushrooms, thickly sliced
1 pound thin asparagus, trimmed, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
1 cup mascarpone cheese
Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
3/4 cup walnuts, toasted
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the farfalle and cook until al dente, stirring occasionally, about 12 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 cup of pasta water.
Meanwhile, melt the butter in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and saute until tender and most of the juices have evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add the asparagus and saute until the asparagus is crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Add the farfalle. Stir in the mascarpone and nutmeg and toss until the cheese coats the pasta, adding the reserved cooking liquid 1/4 cup at a time to moisten. Stir in 1/2 cup of walnuts. Season the pasta, to taste, with salt and pepper. Mound the pasta in a large bowl. Sprinkle with the Parmesan and remaining 1/4 cup of walnuts. Serve.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home