Sunday, June 12, 2005

Buon compleanno a te

Sundays mean family and food, wine and whining, love and laughter, arguments and a game of canasta. Today was a special Sunday- my father's 70th birthday.

In addition to myself and my parents Paolo and Vivian, my brother Joey and his girlfriend Santina, my brother Rafe and his wife Laura and their kids Paul and Allegra, Uncle Vinnie and his lady friend Evelyn, Uncle Tony and Aunt Gina and my cousins, a ton of Dad's friends came over, filling the house with food and noise and more food and gifts and food. We started eating anti pasti at 1:00 and Mama didn't serve the pan di Spagna and gelato until after 7. I probably gained ten pounds today.

Long ago, it was feared that evil spirits were attracted to people on their birthdays. In order to ward them off, family and friends would gather around the birthday person to protect them and bring them good thoughts and wishes. When the candles were blown out, the thought was that the smoke carried the birthday wishes to the heavens to be granted.

Happy Birthday, Dad. May all of your wishes come true.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home