Saturday, July 23, 2005

Grass isn't always greener


The Southern Nevada Water Authority is offering a $1 per square foot rebate to homeowners who replace their grass with xeriscape. Xeriscape [which to me sounds like a cool title for a sci-fi action movie] is creative landscaping for water and energy efficiency and lower maintenance. Derived from the Greek xeros meaning "dry," the term, xeriscape means literally "dry landscape."

Xeriscape doesn't mean you can only have rocks and gravel, although since I'm lazy I'll probably go that route. Some of the plants recommended by the SNWA are 'trailing lantana' [sounds like an embarrassing condition!], 'chilean mesquite' [delicious on barbecued chicken ha ha] and 'compact Texas ranger" [can you make mine 6 foot or taller please?]

It's not that I don't take the water situation seriously. But it's still 86 degrees out so I'm gonna go and unapologetically jump into my pool. Hey, don't give me that look. The SNWA gave me a $50 coupon towards a removable cover to cut down on evaporation and therefore on usage. So I am conserving water, so there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home